Thursday, June 7, 2012

Swings


My stack in WSOP event 9 at around my high point on Day 2

Man, the swings in poker can be brutal!  Last night I had a great cash game session at Aria and was feeling on top of the world.  The night before, I had lost 1 buyin playing at the Bellagio after trying a few bluffs, but I recovered plus some last night after winning a huge pot.  I had 6 9 of spades, and the button raised.  The small blind called and I called from the big blind.  The flop was the King of spades, 6 of hearts, and 3 of spades, giving me middle pair and a flush draw.  This was a huge flop for me, so I checked to the button who bet.  I raised, he reraised, and I moved all in for the biggest cash game pot I have played since I came out here.  I was in about as great a shape as I could be, as all he has was a lower flush draw with 8 4 of spades.  All he could really hit to beat me was an 8, as spades gave me a higher flush.  We both ended up hitting the flush, and I took a monster pot to end the night.

Aria chips after winning the big pot

Today, unfortunately, was a different story at the WSOP cash games.  Every big hand I had today was either already behind or ahead but got outdrawn.  While yesterday felt like I was unstoppable, today feels like I can't win.  But that's okay with me.  It's what I signed up for, and it's why poker is a tough way to make money.  If you can't handle the swings, you shouldn't be playing because they can destroy you.  Downswings are inevitable, and I have learned to take them in stride over the last two summers here.  I just have to keep playing my game and things will turn around.  I have seen it time and time again.  I am still doing well for the trip, as I am down some in cash games but up more from the tournament.  It is time to start heading back in the right direction and go on another upswing soon!

Tonight, I will probably watch the Heat game somewhere and hope that they pull off a big win in Boston.  For the last game, I went and watched the game with a few friends at the Caesars sports book, which was fun until we lost.  Walking back down the strip, I was openly mocked for my Heat jersey by Boston fans and Heat haters alike, so hopefully we can get some revenge tonight.

Whether I play cash games again tonight or tomorrow, hopefully things are about to turn back around!

No comments:

Post a Comment