Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Last Few Days in Vegas


So, I haven't been able to update since I moved to the Rio because the internet there hasn't worked for me. It worked perfectly when I was first there a few weeks ago, but now I can't seem to get a connection. So, for the benefit of this blog, I took the shuttle over to the Strip today to use the internet. I am also here to spend my Venetian comp dollars that I earned playing poker and to go to Walgreens to get some iced tea that I have been craving.

Over the last few days, I have been playing alot of poker and recovering from my downswing. On the day after my last blog, I played a session at the Venetian which started off with 2 gross beats in the first 5 hands but ended with me taking down alot of pots and raking in a substantial win which was very welcomed. The next day, I moved to the Rio for my final leg of the trip. I really like the Rio and would definitely consider staying here for my entire trip if I were going to come back next summer. The rooms are very spacious and clean, not to mention that they come with a fridge and safe. When I got to the Rio, they didnt have any non-smoking king bed rooms available for a few hours, so I elected to just take a room with 2 queens instead. Here are a few pics:

View:

Couch/Suite Area:

View upon walking in:

My 2 Beds:

Warning for the easily bored: Poker Content

Since I have moved into the Rio, things have been going pretty well. I had a few small wins on my first day here. I played a few very interesting hands at the Rio with some opponents who I would love to play against every day. Probably the funniest hand came in a straddled pot. For those who don't know, a straddle is basically an optional blind minimum raise which converts the came to double the limits for that hand. The blinds in my game are typically 2 and 5 dollars, but the button straddled for 10, making it a minimum of 10 dollars for anyone else to play. The small blind and big blind both limp in for 10 and it folds to me in the hijack with pocket 7s. I make it 45 dollars and get folds from the button straddler and the small blind before the big blind decides to call. The flop is J83 with two hearts, not a great flop for my hand but an easy continuation bet once the loose big blind checks to me. I bet $50 and he instantly calls. I figure its about time to shut down on the turn and keep the pot reasonable. This guy was pretty crazy and could show up with alot of hands here. The turn is the 2 of clubs and I check behind after he checks. The river is the 3 of hearts, which is a pretty bad card as it completes the flush, but luckily he checks and I oblige with a check as well. He turns over the almighty 92 offsuit for one of the worst starting hands in poker that check called a flop bet with 9 high, no draw. My hand was shockingly good and I won the pot laughing inside at the events that had just transpired.

Yesterday, I played a small tournament at the WSOP(it was not a WSOP bracelet event, just a daily $235 dollar tourney that they have). Even though it wasn't really a WSOP event, it felt pretty cool to play with the WSOP tournament chips that I posted a picture of at the top of the blog. Unfortunately, I didn't really win any hands and was out in about an hour and a half. No big deal though, I'll save my WSOP tournament rungood for the year that I play the main event. Hopefully next year Cliff and I will be able to come out and play it once he is home from Israel for good.

After losing the tournament I played and lost a little bit in a cash game before eating dinner, but I followed that up with a pretty big win last night. It started out pretty terribly as I lost a big flip in a $900 pot to put me down $400 early. Luckily I stayed and made it all back plus some to get a very satisfying win. It was especially nice to get that win as there was a very good player to my left who I was slightly afraid would suck up all the equity from the table. It went well though and there was plenty of money to be made there. It was alot of fun and everyone at the table was very nice and fun to play with. Definitely one of my favorite poker sessions of the trip so far.

So, thats my long update for the past few days. I may not have internet during the rest of my trip, so if I don't update again while I am here, expect an update or two when I get home this weekend. Thanks again for following along with me. I really appreciate everyone's support.

Peace,

Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment