Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Day Swings

Ayo,

It's Wednesday morning and again I'm up a little early, partially because I'm still adjusting to the time zone but mostle because a drunk girl knocked on my door at 6:45 am looking for her room. Only in Vegas... Wrong room lady, now let me sleep. Now it's 10:30 am and I'm down in starbucks again using their internet.

Yesterday was a long, exciting, and most of all swingy day. After updating the blog, I waited about an hour for a seat at 2/5nl at the Rio's poker room. I was first on the list for about 45 minutes, but noone left and I had to wait for a seat to open. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even last that long at the table. After losing a big all in pot whay ahead, I was down alot and decided to get up and cut my losses for now. It was not a great way to start my trip, but I played great and got my money in very good. I was still confident and ready to play. I just needed a change of scenery. I decided to hop on the Rio's shuttle to the strip and check out the action over there.

While I waited for the shuttle, the guy next to me started talkin to me. I was wearing a WashU shirt, and it turned out he was from St. Louis. He started talkin to me about the Lou, then said he now lived in Atlanta. Strange coincidences. He was a nice guy so I talked to him throughout the trip until we got to the strip. That's when things took their turn.

"Hey man, I wouldn't ask but you seem like a nice guy and I need some help," he said.
"Um, ok," I said. "What's up"

"Like I was tellin you, I'm down on my luck with the poker thing and I need to get back on my feet. You know, just like a room and somewhere to sleep and shower."

"Uhhh, shit," I thought.

He went on: "I've been sleepin out in the ditches outside the Rio and just really need a place to go and get clean and contemplate my next move. And I know you feel me because you do your social work thing, so just please help me out."

I kept tellin him that I'm out here on a budget and I don't have the money to just be handing out hotel rooms and stuff, but if he wanted me to get him subway or somethin that's all I could do. He said he'd already eaten and just really needed a hotel room, etc... I could tell I wasn't gettin out of there easily. I told him I only had $40 on me(true) and the best I could do for him was to give him $10 to put towards his room. I was not happy about this, but it wasn't because of the money. I just really was surprised he put me in this position. It's not like he just came up to me and asked for money. Instead, he made friends with me and then took advantage of that friendship. I'd rather someone just come out and ask than trick me into thinking one thing then flipping it on me. Oh well, we live and we learn. So I gave him the 10 bucks, told him no thanks when he told me he'd take my number and call me when he's back on his feet, and went on my way.

Once that was done with, I walked over to Caesar's and put myself on the list for 2/5. It didn't seem like they were going to open up a game any time soon, so I made the walk over to the Bellagio instead. I actually never played at the Bellagio last summer, but they have a wider selection of games and I knew they'd have a few 2/5 games. After signing up for a player's card and waiting a few minutes, I was in my seat and ready to redeem myself from my morning's beating. Luckily, that's exactly what happened. Not only did I make back what I had lost at the Rio, but I actually ended up 3x as much as I had lost earlier, putting me up a significant amount for the day. I played there for around 3.5 hours, then got some chicken parm sliders at the Palm steakhouse. I can't think of many better meals for $4.50. The bar menu has like 10 items for $4.50 during happy hour. 3 chicken parm sliders and homemade chips for $4.50. I'll be back there soon I'm sure.

So, I was finally ready to head back over to the Rio. I hustled over to Harrah's to catch the shuttle and wouldn't you know it, the guy from the shuttle earlier was directly in front of me in line. I was able to jump out of line and book it in the other direction before he saw me there. I did not want to deal with that again at all. So I caught the shuttle from Bally's instead. Once I was back, I decided to play another few hours at the Rio since it was only around 8:30. I booked another decent win and called it a night around 11:30. Overall, it was an emotionally swingy day, but it turned out to be a great start to my trip. Today, I plan on putting in a few more sessions, and I also might watch the final table of the WSOP $5,000 preliminary pot limit omaha event as I am positive that the final table will be stacked with great players. Ok, this got really long so I'm gonna end this post here. If you made it to the end, thanks for stickin with me! I'll post again soon, and I promise it won't be as long!

Peace,

Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment